Have you ever wanted to try a really simple gingerbread recipe?
Just make sure you do the right simple recipe... unlike the time when I... *ahem* was trying to impress my friends by baking for them and used the wrong recipe. My gingerbread mix shamefully ended in the bin, and I bought them some from the supermarket!
Pride goes before a fall, much?
Please say I'm not the only one!
Anyway, here's the easy gingerbread recipe that does work!
12 oz plain flour
4 oz butter
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 beaten egg
3 oz soft brown sugar
4 tablespoons golden syrup
Currants, chocolate, smarties etc. for decorating
1. Put the butter, sugar, and syrup into a saucepan and stir together on a low heat until melted.
2. Sieve the plain flour, ground ginger, and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl.
3. Add the butter, sugar, and syrup mix, along with the beaten egg.
4. Mix together and knead into a ball.
5. Chill the dough in a plastic bag in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6. Roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness.
7. Cut your gingerbread men out and put on a greased baking tray. Decorate them with currants, smarties, etc.
8. Bake for 10-15 minutes at 190º C (375ºF or gas mark 5) When you take them out of the oven, immediately put them onto a cooling rack.
9. Add icing when cooled if desired.
10. Enjoy your gingerbread men!