Wednesday 28 April 2010

Baby Blocks/Pincushions


Have you ever thought that there must be an easy way to make a cube, but never been sure just how to do it?
I'll explain it for you.


Step One: Cut out six squares of fabric the same size. I used a coaster as my template.

Step Two: Sew four together in a line. You may want to stitch it a few times to ensure it is secure.

Step Three: Sew the two ends of your line together.

Step Four: Turn your joined squares inside out. Pin a square to the bottom and stitch all the way round a few times. Repeat this stage to attach the top square, but remember to leave and opening so that you can turn your cube the right way out, and so that you can stuff it.

Step Five: Turn your cube the right way out. Now, stuff it with scraps of wadding. You can fit in about 3 times you think you'll be able to!

Step Six: Have fun admiring your new creation. You could make for a baby you know to play with, or you could use it as a pin cushion. Don't use it for both purposes, though!


I made another one to use as a pincushion and put it in a hand painted ceramic box.




Cute, huh?

See you soon! :)

Linking up to Amylouwho's Sew n Tell Fridays!

21 comments:

  1. Nice. Great idea to put it in the ceramic box as a pin cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cute! Really liked the fabric you used too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone! :) I have replied to all of you personally by email, I hope you receive it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love making blocks...they are one of my favorite things to make for baby gifts

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh, thanks for the instructions, my little boy is due for some new blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! :o)
    Thank you for adding the instructions.
    Sincerely ~ Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are cute, I never thought of that. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. super cute. especially in the little box!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute little pincushion! It's so much fun to have something so utilitarian be so adorable. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like these, great idea to use the box. I think I'll make one and put it in a box with a lid so I can easily store it or use it for decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blocks are such a great toy for babies. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a great response! I'm glad you all like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tutorial!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for the cube instructions! What fun! By the way, I'm a crafty Christian homeschooler, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's ok! It's great to meet you, fellow crafty Christian homeschooler! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for this! I can make a few of these for my niece as playing blocks.

    ReplyDelete