Wednesday 21 April 2010

Shirred Skirts Tutorial

Have you ever thought that there must be an easy way to make skirts?
Here's an easy-peasy way to make one. If you use a pillowcase, half of the sewing is already done for you!
(Just check that the pillowcase will fit you first, if not, just make a bigger 'pillowcase' that will fit you)


So, go and find some cute pillowcases or fabric that you love and make a skirt. The best bit? There's no pattern!

Step One: If you want to embellish your outside pillowcase in any way (flowers, beads, ribbon) do this first. Now,Turn your two pillowcases (one for the outside and one for the lining) inside out and cut the tops off as shown in the photo. When you cut off the top of the pillowcase that will be used as your lining, take off a bit more of the length. This way, it won't show at the hem of your skirt.


Step Two: Turn your outside pillowcase the right way again and pin your pillowcases together. Make sure that the seams do not show, and that you don't pin all four layers together. The photos should explain.



Step Three: Turn over the edge you just sewed twice and pin in place, so that you can't see the raw edges. Sew away!


Step Four: Now it's time to do the shirring. Wind your elastic thread loosely onto a bobbin and put it into your machine. Use normal thread for upper sewing. Shirr several lines at the top of the skirt. The more lines you do, the stretchier your skirt will be! For further guidance on shirring, click here.


Make sure that you hold your threads when you cut them, if you don't you may get pinged by the elastic thread!
Trust me, it hurts!


When shirring, try not to smooth down the fabric. Let it go over all the bumps as this will also make it stretchier.



Step Five: Enjoy your easy new skirt!



:)

26 comments:

  1. This looks so easy and again I wish I had a sewing machine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool idea, thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!! I have a really cute pillowcase I found a few weeks ago, unfortunately, I don't think it will fit me at the moment....

    Glad you joined us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make it look easy! Cute skirt and looks very comfy with the elastic shirring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Lizzy!
    I have been reading through your blog, and really enjoyed myself. Very clever skirt tutorial and many, many other cute projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute is that skirt. I want to make reversible skirts for traveling, this would work great. Carol from BrrMidji Designs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool and easy! Thank you. Love the little chocolate skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! Glad you all like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a great tutorial. I always wondered how shirring was done. Now I know the secret. And using pillowcases is a stroke of genius.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Michelle! I had wondered for years, too, I'm glad I know now as it's so easy! :) Glad you found my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun is this idea! Cute little one too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love learning new "thinking-outside-the-box" ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is easier that I thought it would be! Thanks for the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Kristen, Dayna, and Rebecca. :) It is really surprising just how easy it is to make a skirt like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute, I am going to get me some elastic thread!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cute and fun! I enjoy the process of shirring and the results!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm inspired to try shirring now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. so cute and easy! I have become a follower and would be honored if you choose to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great skirts!!! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE this... I am absolutely addicted to shirring lately, and your finished products are fabulous!
    We have a friday fun finds party... we'd love it if you'd link to this! :)

    ReplyDelete